Friday 30 December 2011

Perfect Whole Wheat Oat Pizza Crust


1 1/2 cups of oats
1 cup of whole wheat flour( I use white whole wheat flour)
2 tbsp. of flax seeds
1 packet of yeast
2 tablespoons of agave or honey
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 cup of warm water
a little extra flour to knead the dough

In a large bowl sprinkle the pack of yeast over 1 cup of warm water. Drizzle the agave or honey on top of the water and yeast and let the mixture set until the yeast becomes foamy on the top of the water. (Approx 10 minutes). Add the oil. Grind the oats and flax seeds into flour in the magic bullet or blender. Add the ground oats, flax and whole wheat flour in the bowl. Mix all ingredients and then let the dough rise for 10 minutes before placing some additional flour on a clean counter or work surface and lightly kneading the dough for approx 30sec-1 min. Grease pizza pan and spread the dough to the thickness that you want your crust. I normally split the dough in half and spread it thin enough to make 2 pizzas on 12 inch pizza pans. Top with pizza sauce, your choice of toppings and cheese and bake for 13-15min at 425 degrees.
The dough can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. To use the dough you just need to take it from the fridge and let it rise in a warm place for a 1/2 hr before using. I shred enough cheese for 2 pizzas when I make the dough and then I store the second half of the dough in the fridge and I have dough and the cheese all ready to use when I want an easy quick meal for the kids.
My husband is very picky and normally will not eat any of my healthy recipes besides my bread and he loves this pizza crust as does everyone that I've made it for.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try this one
    and others of yours

    please keep sharing

    Jenn Newman

    ReplyDelete